KNOXVILLE (ETSPJ) – Dr. Richard Briggs is a Republican member of the Tennessee Senate representing the 7th district, which encompasses part of Knox County.
What issues are you most interested in this year?
- The debate on how to finance the state’s infrastructure needs
- Legislation addressing the opiate crisis and addiction in Tennessee
- The plan to outsource maintenance services at the University of Tennessee
- Outcome of the promise to repeal and replace the affordable Care Act
- The possibility of block grants to the states
- Solutions to the crisis of the health insurance exchange
How did you get into politics?
I had little interest in running for public office until the “Black Wednesday.” Crisis in the Knox County Government in 2007 when I decided to run for the Knox County Commission.
What is the one thing most people don’t know about you?
I went to high school in the alps of France.
What is your favorite snack to keep you going during a long meeting? How do you take your coffee
I do not eat a lot of junk food, but in a long meeting, I will take a plain coffee (I’m not a Starbucks or fancy coffee fan) with a hazelnut creamer and an Equal sweetener.
What is your New Year’s resolution?
Try to take more time to exercise.